Tuesday, September 29, 2009

It's a sad week in St Vital...

Well, I don't really know how to put into words how sad this past weekend has been. One of the community's greatest hockey coaches passed away on Friday night of a heart attack while on his way home.

Ron Smith was one of the nicest, most caring individuals I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. I was fortunate enough to have played hockey with his daughter and to have him as my coach for several years. We always knew that Ron was there looking out for us whether it be hockey, or our every day lives. He helped both of my older brothers get jobs, and got them and my boyfriend out of trouble a few times while at those jobs! He was like a second hockey dad to me. He's touched a lot of people's hearts in Winnipeg and he will be dearly missed by all.

The funeral is tomorrow morning at 11:00am at the Westwood Community Church off Portage Avenue. It should be a packed house, so get there early if you would like to get a seat.

Rest in Peace Ron... we'll miss you and we all love you very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment